May 17, 2010

Chana masala


I've already written about my love of chana masala.


Now, I can finally ban the pre-packaged form from my kitchen! (Next on my list: using dried beans.)



I had bookmarked recipes online before but it wasn't until I read this one that it finally clicked for me: lemon!



I'm still playing around with the combination of spices (I don't follow the measurements at all) and the ratio of chickpeas to tomatoes to onion (I tend to be on the tomato-y side), but all in all, this is a relatively simple and quick meal to make on a work night, with leftovers for the next day or two.


Also, "fresh" spices are important! This is something I knew, of course, but always took for granted. Since I just moved, I had to replace some spices, one of them being cayenne pepper. Before, I would add tons of cayenne and honestly thought, what is the point? I couldn't taste it at all. This time though, I added some of this new cayenne and was brought to tears by its heat.


Tears of joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment