May 24, 2010

Brunch II


It's common, I think, to hear about non-vegetarians hosting vegetarians and having the dilemma of what to serve. But what happens when you're the vegetarian hosting non-vegetarians--as well as a mom-to-be, and others with specific food allergies (peanuts, shellfish, dairy)?



Actually, as the semi-vegetarian, I think my own food restrictions were the most challenging because, well, people like meat, and meat does provide a lot of flavor. I can prepare, eat and enjoy completely vegetarian meals but it's a lot to ask the same of meat-eaters. It helps, of course, that I do eat poultry, and turkey and chicken sausage can be tasty. So my plan was to serve a bunch of little finger foods, with one main dish. This way, if I somehow didn't cover one person's food issue, they would still have some other options.

On to the menu...


Sardines, arugula and roasted red pepper on toast (my cousin made this once for a party; it looked yummy so I copied her)...


Salmon salad and cucumber on a cracker, based on my tuna salad recipe...


Baked pasta with marscapone (instead of goat cheese) and turkey sausage...


Rounding it out: Caesar salad, stuffed mushrooms (Giada's, except with panko breadcrumbs and without mint) and bloody marys...


And what brunch could be complete without scones with creme fraiche and blueberry preserves? Actually, I had planned on serving clotted cream, which is a traditional way of having scones but I couldn't find it at any market and thank goodness for that because I've just learned it's made with unpasteurized milk which is absolutely forbidden for pregnant women! So you're welcome, Future Mr. L (hopefully named Bruce).

No comments:

Post a Comment