June 15, 2010

Heaven (aka carrot ginger dressing)


This is the dressing that is served at Japanese restaurants on the small salad you get before your sushi, if you choose the salad over soup option, which I often do, precisely for this dressing. I've tried bottled versions before and they weren't the same, so I had pretty much accepted the fact that I could only have this dressing when I went to a sushi place.


Then I saw this dressing posted on one of my favorite food blogs. Somehow I just knew, knew, this was it--this was going to be amazing.

I was so confident that it was going to be good that I went ahead and doubled the recipe the first time I made it (something I never do when trying a recipe for the very first time), and I was well-rewarded.


I did think that I didn't need to use as much miso as it says to in the recipe, but that may be because I was using Korean doenjang, which I had always assumed was the same as miso, but I think doenjang might be a little more intense and salty.


Which of course is where the yummy-ness comes from. I topped a simple salad of romaine and tomatoes with this dressing but honestly, I probably ate most of it by just dipping romaine leaves directly into the dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment