August 1, 2011

Spinach egg


I went to California recently, to spend some time with relatives and also to get away from work/New York. I came back with a long list of food ideas.

For one, spinach and egg for breakfast. I've had spinach and egg together for dinner in a simplified bibimbap, even kale and egg on toast for lunch or a snack (or a late night dinner), but it never occurred to me to have it for breakfast until my cousin made it nearly every morning I was there.




Does it bother anyone else how much spinach shrinks when you cook it? I think it's terribly misleading, bordering on fraud. It does taste so much better though when it's sauteed in olive oil with a small dash of salt and pepper. Sometimes I add a grating of nutmeg, because I heard it goes well with spinach.



I like to either poach an egg, or to fry it in some butter. If I fry the egg, I will sometimes add some cheese - fontina is a current favorite, although I also love gruyere with eggs and spinach.

I am not sure why I don't add cheese if I poach the egg. Just a weird quirk, I guess.


Served on a piece of toasted bread. Although, sometimes I'll skip the toast altogether.


Mm, runny egg... I know some people think runny eggs are disgusting, but I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment