February 21, 2011

Roast pork

I know what you're thinking - what could I, someone who never eats or cooks meat, possibly know about roast pork? Well, admittedly not much. I was hoping the Mexican Chef would do a guest post for me, but I think he might still be nursing a hangover.

Nonetheless, here are some tips I got from him before he passed out:


1. Be sure to place your rotisserie machine on your balcony overlooking a little bit of the Hudson River.


2. You should use a "set it and forget it" type of machine, but you can't forget about it. This pork is slow-cooked, so to moderate the temperature, you will need to run out to said balcony every 15 minutes or so to turn off the heat, then turn it back on. Be sure to do this on a 30 degree day too - fun!


3. The trick to getting that skin so crispy and tasty? The Mexican Chef revealed his secret to me - he uses a rub, but was having trouble getting it to stick, so he applies dijon mustard to the pork before applying the rub. The mustard sort of melts away and allows the rub to remain and flavor the pork.


4. Eat the roast pork Peking duck/taco style - a little pork (I was admonished to be sure to get a little skin), cucumber, scallions, cilantro and hoisin sauce, wrapped in a tortilla.

5. Drink copious amounts of wine with the roast pork. Share seven bottles of wine with eight adults and two children (kidding about the kids!). In fact, drink so much that you don't remember what happens next - only that the food was amazing.

I think an exploding bottle of wine, the debut of a new pair of skinny jeans, and a toy rice cooker may also have been involved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hilarious (super whyyy!). the last photo doesn't do justice to how good it tasted.

NL

Post a Comment