March 3, 2009

Kale, in three parts: Part 2


Chicken sausage, bean, and kale stew
I tore this recipe out of Real Simple because the picture looked so delicious, and I love kale. I bought the chicken sausage at Faicco's, one of those places where you have to order everything at the counter. I love those kind of places. I'm sure you could use dried beans but I have yet to cook with dried beans (in fact, I am a little intimidated by the idea as I am by the idea of roasting a chicken) and besides, the recipe uses canned. My method is slightly different than the original recipe.



Saute onions until soft (this is an additional ingredient I added, how can you go wrong with onions?). This is one onion.


Add chicken sausage (I bought four links, about a little over half a pound) which I took out of the casing instead of slicing up) and cook while breaking up, then add garlic.


Add broth (about 2 cups) and tomatoes (one 14 oz can); let simmer.


Add the beans (one 14 oz can). I add the beans towards the end; since they are canned, they are already cooked and on their way to mush, so I just wanted them to be heated through.


About a few minutes later, add the kale. I didn't use an entire bunch of kale, I probably used about 3/4 because it seemed like a lot, and because I wanted some kale leftover so I could make Part 1 again. Although, I ended up using it to make Part 3.


Taste as you go (as always)--I found that the chicken sausage was so flavorful that I really didn't need to add any flavoring. In fact I ended up adding some water because it was a little salty and I wanted a little more broth to slurp.

The whole process took about an hour and probably could have taken less had I not been doing laundry at the same time. This was so yummy, I have now eaten it for dinner twice and lunch once. I think this made enough for six healthy servings, if not more.


Note on the photo of the finished product: I have not yet gotten the knack of photographing food in my dim, underground kitchen, so the original photo of the finished product did not turn out well. The photo posted is actually the stew that had been reheated for dinner the following night, with a little more fresh kale added. Did I mention I love kale?