March 3, 2009

Kale, in three parts: Part 1


One a.m. kale with egg on toastI have enjoyed kale since my friend introduced it to me a few years ago at a dinner party. She had simply sauteed it with oil, then added some soy sauce, serving it as a side dish at her Asian-themed meal. I immediately tried my own version, sauteeing it with some melted anchovy fillets and garlic in olive oil. Sometimes I would add it to some linguine with a bit of pecorino or gruyere. While I loved the texture and the taste of kale, I was sort of at a loss as to other ways to prepare it.

As if on cue, I read this on Bitten about kale. Egg and kale--it was a revelation.

I've made it many times since, with slight variations depending on my mood.
  • Because I love the flavor that anchovies add, I melt an anchovy fillet over the lowest flame (so as not to splatter), add a handful (or two) of kale and saute briefly, sometimes with garlic depending on how lazy I feel, then pour in my chicken broth, just about a quarter to half a cup and let it boil away. The stock does not cover the kale at all, nor is it necessary, I have found. It's very difficult to overcook kale this way.

  • Meanwhile, I fry an egg. I've found the best way to make a sunny-side up egg while keeping the yellow a bit runny is to cook the egg on the lowest flame. In the beginning I heat the pan on medium high but turn it down as soon as I add the egg. Sometimes I like to have crispy edges in which case I'll wait a minute to turn the flame down.

  • Lastly, I toast bread. If I don't have good bread on hand, I'll just use the Whole Foods brand oat nut bread that I always have around (which I love--I can eat it plain).
I can eat this for dinner (with maybe a small soup), weekend lunch, or, as I discovered the other night, a late night snack. Because sometimes, one goes out after work to relax and sometimes, that does not include food. Suddenly it is 1 a.m. and one is starving, and kale and egg on toast is fulfilling and comforting.