June 3, 2011

Not-ready-for-summer butternut squash


Is it just me, or did winter leap-frog right over spring and turn straight into summer? Sigh, poor spring.

In defiance, I am sticking with winter foods such as butternut squash.


Ok, not really. I made this a while ago and never got around to posting it.

Back when it was still cold out, I happened to roast some butternut squash, just very simply with olive oil, salt and pepper. I also tried a version with some Indian flavors, like coriander and cumin. Unsurprisingly, both ways were quite delicious. The thought occurred to me that butternut squash might go well with sausage, so that's what I tried here.



While the butternut squash was roasting (about 30 min), I sauteed onions until they were almost caramelized, then added some turkey sausage. Once the sausage was cooked, I added kale and some minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.


I usually eat this kind of sausage-kale mixture on top of some pasta or polenta, but butternut squash was a great alternative base. For an experiment, I think it was pretty successful. I liked how the sweetness of the butternut squash is balanced by the savory sausage. It can seem a tad heavy for the summer, so I'll definitely have this in my repertoire when winter comes back - probably when I'm not ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment