May 4, 2011

Pasta puttanesca

After trudging through a few hits and misses, I decided to revisit a dish that I hadn't made in a while: pasta puttanesca.


I first learned about pasta puttanesca from watching one of my cousins prepare it for another cousin who was going to be arriving late at night. I believe it was around Christmas, and our family was gathered at my aunt and uncle's. She chopped olives and capers and mixed it into some tomato sauce while the older relatives praised her in Korean about how quick and efficient she was (they love doing that).

I didn't even taste the dish (she had added some meat, and at the time I was diligently vegetarian) but the combination of ingredients had me hooked and I've been making my own variation of it ever since.



One of the things I like about this dish is that it involves many pantry staples (at least from my pantry): anchovies, capers, olives, tomato sauce.

I mince some black olives (kalamata) and capers, and some garlic unless I already have some universal tomato sauce around. For this particular batch, I also added some chopped onions.

After sauteing the onion for a bit, I add in an anchovy filet or a little anchovy paste, whichever I have on hand. Once the anchovy has dissolved, I add the capers and olives and tomato sauce or some canned tomatoes and let everything simmer. If I'm in a spicy mood, I'll add some crushed chili flakes. Salt is usually not necessary; a little sugar is a nice finishing touch.



Personally, I like it best with spaghetti, but all I had on hand were these spirals.

Then I decorate with some pecorino and parsley. Pasta puttanesca is like a kick to the taste buds - salty, spicy, and a little sweet. It can liven up some plain marinara if you're in the mood for something with an attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment