January 17, 2011

Salmon frittata


This meal was built entirely around a small can of salmon that I had languishing in my pantry. Canned salmon is not something I would usually buy, but my mom sent it to me. We Seattle folk are rather drawn to salmon. The town where I went to high school even has a salmon festival every year when the salmon would "run" (i.e. spawn). In person, this is quite the sight - the creek would fill with these enormous salmon, all crowding and jumping around each other trying to swim upstream. So crazy.

Anyways, when my mom sends me a care package, there is always some sort of salmon product. And when I visit home, there are at least one or two meals involving salmon. (It's kind of like in 'Mystic Pizza' where in Mystic, as a lobster hub, all they eat is "lobstah, lobstah, lobstah.")



I followed this Barefoot Contessa recipe for a smoked salmon frittata, but halved it as well as eliminated the goat cheese. I've made this in the past with goat cheese and it's delicious, but I didn't want to buy yet another ingredient, and I wanted to keep the calorie count down.


I used six eggs, half a cup of heavy cream, the can of salmon, a couple of chopped scallions, and a little salt and pepper.


After sauteing about half a diced onion, I carefully poured the egg mixture into the pan, then stuck it in a preheated 350 degree oven. The original recipe says to bake it for 55 minutes, but since I was using a smaller pan and fewer eggs, I started checking it at about 25 minutes. After about 35 minutes, the frittata was beautifully puffed and a little golden around the edges.


I accidentally deleted the photo of the cut piece so take my word for it, it was nice and poofy (although it did deflate when cooled). The salmon added just enough flavor and the cream added a great silky texture. And it was super easy to make.

Now if only my mom would send me another can of salmon...

Pantry purge: that pesky can of salmon!
Bonus points: for using up some heavy cream
For those of you counting at home (I am): 255 calories per serving, 4 servings (not bad considering the heavy cream)

No comments:

Post a Comment