September 21, 2010

Using pesto: Basic bruschetta


I don't know about you but when I get home from work in the evening, I am positively famished. I'm talking faint with hunger. The only thing I can think about as I'm walking up the stairs (up the stairs! this is sometimes still a little new and exciting to me, even though I've been above ground for five months) to my apartment is what I am going to eat for dinner.

This is why I spend time pre-making stuff that I can re-heat for dinner, or find small shortcuts to make a faster dinner. Even so, a small and quick snack just as I get home is ideal.



Enter pesto. I made another batch of pesto this summer and froze it as usual. I only defrost a small amount at a time, one or two cubes, because it will go bad (as I was unfortunate enough to witness).


Then one day I had one lone tomato left, and this quick bruschetta was born. A little nontraditional - fresh basil is optimal of course, and I used a slice of a large round loaf of bread, tartine-style, instead of a baguette - but when I'm about to keel over from hunger, anything will do. Definitely gave me enough energy to make a proper dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment