August 31, 2010

Still learning


I think it is fairly clear from this blog that I'm not a professional and I cook for fun (and to eat, of course). I like trying new dishes but I also like making things again and again - and when I do, I sometimes make small variations depending on my mood or what ingredients I have on hand. I also apply things I've learned from talking to others or from information I find online - and there is a lot to learn.


For instance, I've found lots of different suggestions for cooking Indian, and one was to cook onions down a lot - until they're brown (but not burnt). This makes sense - that is the technique for French onion soup too, and it's how the dish gets so much flavor.

I tried it out on the chana masala that I usually make. I used to cook the onions until just barely soft, because I mistakenly thought I preferred it. But with some extra cooking time, voila! - the onions completely disintegrate and contribute to making the thick "gravy" that I love about chana masala (see above photographic evidence - it almost looks like the packaged kind I used to eat!).

This blog - and my culinary experience - is a work in progress... and this particular revelation was major progress for me. Next on my list: vindaloo. Yes, I will conquer you, vindaloo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always order vindaloo at restaurants because I like the spice, but am always unhappy with the texture of the protein (dry and tough). If you can figure out how to make it better, lmk.

NL

Post a Comment