January 7, 2010

Mushroom bourgignon


This recipe is not going to have enough meat for one of my readers (you know who you are). In fact, it has no meat in it. Suck it!



Listen, it's really worth trying out, especially if you have a little red wine lying about that you want to use up. It ends up becoming kind of a mushroom stew.


I started by lightly searing, in batches, about 1-1/2 lbs of mushrooms which had been cleaned and cut into chunks or left whole if they were really small (recipe calls for 2 lbs which I couldn't remember while I was at the grocery store--this will come back to haunt me later). These were set aside in a separate bowl.


After removing the mushrooms, I sauteed about half a diced onion and carrot, then threw in a couple of cloves of minced garlic. Then I poured in a cup of red wine which simmered until it was reduced by half, then 2 tbsp of tomato paste (important).


Then I added 2 cups of my chicken stock, the mushrooms, and seasonings.


And simmered.


Threw in some peeled pearl onions. I got a bag at the grocery store, I do not know how much I bought but I now realize that I probably added about three times as much as the recipe calls for. This will come back to haunt me as well.


This looks a little weird... it's a tablespoon of softened butter mixed with flour, for thickening purposes.


Continued to simmer until nice and thick.


Served over egg noodles. It was fantastic... except, I thought there should have been more mushrooms and fewer pearl onions. Sometimes it is good to follow recipes to the letter.

And, if you really must, I'm sure you could add some beef to this, before or after the mushroom step (sear it separately like the mushrooms).

No comments:

Post a Comment