July 22, 2009

Smooth operator


I have, for no good reason, been intimidated by my blender.


But then I saw this article not too long ago in the Times and it sounded so easy I thought I'd give my blender another chance. I love the suggestion of freezing over-ripe bananas, as I've had issues with bananas in the past. And it is true, if you use frozen bananas, you don't need ice.



I blended a handful of frozen fruit (in this case, mixed berries, which I do not recommend because the blackberries and raspberries have too many seeds), one frozen banana, roughly half a cup to a cup of soy milk and a squeeze of honey.


The less liquid that's added, the thicker--and more like melted ice cream!--the smoothie is, although you need the liquid in order for it to blend properly. I tried a version once using a little Greek yogurt and it tasted a little like Red Mango/Pinkberry. Quick and almost guilt-free way to have a little ice cream-esque dessert at the spur of the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment