May 29, 2009

#1 tuna salad


David Letterman's Top Ten Lists; Top Ten [fill in the blank] from High Fidelity; the tip lists from the Happiness Project... I don't know what it is about lists but if I see a headline with a number like "11 speedy ways to get ready for summer" I cannot stop myself from reading it.


My inspiration for this mayo-less tuna salad came from yet another list: #5 of "101 Simple Appetizers in 20 Minutes or Less" (with a bonus number component--time!).

The idea is to use tuna that has been packed in oil, which I thought was totally taboo but it is sooo delicious and usually negates the use of mayo. I'd originally made this as an appetizer for a dinner party, mixing the tuna with roasted red peppers, parsley, lemon, salt and pepper, serving on toasted baguette slices.


I like making this for a little snack/light lunch by using one of those individual cans of tuna, with whatever I have on hand, which on this day was: red onion, pickled red peppers and parsley. This is good using smoked salmon too (not cured salmon) which my mom will often send to me from Seattle because she thinks that salmon can only be found there.

Update: This list takes the cake--12 really ugly, lame cell phones. I cannot believe these are for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment