May 25, 2011

Yogurt accessory

Because I like to eat and cook a variety of food, my pantry is filled with a lot of different types of ingredients - soy sauce and sesame oil for Asian foods; garam masala for Indian; basil for Italian; etc.

It's a bit overwhelming, so I like when ingredients have some crossover appeal. For instance, cilantro is great for both Indian, Mexican/Tex-Mex, and some Asian-inspired foods. I use canned tomatoes for everything from soup to pasta sauce to chana masala. Even instant espresso has some dual usage - I've used it in chili and cupcakes.


Now I can add yogurt to that list. I wasn't sure exactly what to call this yogurt accompaniment - it's not exactly a dressing, not just a dip either. It's kind of a hybrid between ranch dressing and raita. I start with either plain yogurt (full fat or low fat), sometimes strained using a coffee filter (or you could use already-strained yogurt).



I add a little crushed garlic. Not too much - although the flavor of garlic is awesome here, I try not to go too crazy because this yogurt side is meant to complement another dish that already has some strong flavors.


I also add a little salt to taste, and then a little something extra, whatever I have on hand - usually chopped cilantro but sometimes chopped scallions or parsley.


The result is a versatile sauce of sorts. In fact, I will sometimes snack on some veggies or chips and dip while prepping my main meal, then use the same dip - now referred to as a topping - with my main dish, if my main dish is some chili or chana masala.


Here, I used it as a side with some basic black bean quesadillas. So many other uses: baked potato topping, thin it out for salad dressing, dollop with smoked salmon...

No comments:

Post a Comment