May 15, 2011

Quick chips

I started making these "quick chips" using corn tortillas because sometimes I am in the mood for some pico de gallo or guacamole but don't have any chips around. I never have a bag of chips around because I usually devour it right after buying it.


Take a corn tortilla and cut it into wedges. If you freeze your corn tortillas like I do, give them a quick defrost in the microwave, just to soften them a little.


Lay them flat on a baking tray (I use parchment paper just in case there is any sticking). Overlapping results in uneven baking so I don't suggest it.


Toast in toaster oven (I've ranged from 400-450 degrees) for about 5 minutes. I like to toast them until they show little hints of brown on the edges, so sometimes this requires an additional minute. Watch carefully - they burn easily and will turn to ash.


When you can touch them without burning yourself, start munching! These are quick to make, but you've got to eat them quickly too as they do not last like packaged chips.

I've tried it with flour tortillas too, though I feel like corn tortillas produce sturdier quick chips. I've only ever attempted these in my toaster oven because I usually just need a few chips to eat with some chili or for some guacamole. Really if you need a lot of chips, it's better just to buy a bag, but this method is a quick and easy alternative, and also another way to use corn tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment