October 13, 2010

The Bean Chronicles: Black Beans II


The bean: Black beans
Amount: Half a 1-pound bag
Method: Soaked for about 10 hours (put in fridge in the morning before work), drained and rinsed, then on stove with water to cover, salted towards the end
Cooking time: About 2 hours
Storing? Half in the freezer (eventually used for black bean salads); the other half in fridge, used within a few days, also for black bean salads (more?? yes more, I like eating the same thing for weeks on end, so sue me)


Result: I honestly did not notice a difference between soaking and not soaking. The cooking time was virtually equal. The results were the same, mostly good but a little uneven. Cooking liquid was nice and dark too, I didn't notice much of a loss of color. The aroma while cooking was not as strong as the no-soak method though.

So, my thought is perhaps the cooking vessel does make a difference and I do need to use a wider pot for more even cooking. (Time to go shopping!) Or the oven is the way to go. Clearly I have more experiments left to do with black beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment