October 7, 2010

Banana chocolate chip walnut muffins


Um, I do make dishes other than soups and beans. Really.

I'm very far behind on posting some things I've made recently. Most of the time I don't care - I'll post when I post! But I wanted to get this one up right now because I don't want it to seem like all I've been making lately are soups and beans. Even though that is pretty much all I've been making.



I had, again, bananas to use up. I'd heard (via Chowhound) that it was okay to put bananas in the freezer to use later, even in their skins. So I had one previously frozen banana (which incidentally turned black in the freezer) and one never-frozen (but also so overripe it turned black) banana ready to go.


I wasn't content with making another batch of these banana nut muffins that I adored - I wanted to make something I hadn't before. So I did my usual perusing of the interwebs and fell upon one of my favorite food blogs and found this recipe for banana bread. Except I didn't make the banana bread (because I don't have loaf pans anyways) - I made a recipe I found in the comments section.


In fact, when it comes to looking up recipes online, sometimes the comments are the best source for advice - people make various tweaks or write about their results and what they'd change next time, and I take those into consideration when I make the recipe. [This is true for shopping as well - but unfortunately for me, I didn't listen to my own advice, ignored the negative reviews about a jacket I liked on Piperlime and ordered it anyways. Utter fail.]


So lucky for me, this recipe for banana chocolate chip muffins was posted in the comments section and I was immediately drawn to it - it seemed super easy and I had all the ingredients. Actually I didn't have milk, and instead of buying milk, I bought buttermilk. I have this compulsion to make at least one tweak to a recipe. Wait, make that two - I added walnuts. But that's because walnuts make everything taste better.


These were scrumptious. I love that the recipe made only a dozen - sometimes you don't need to make enough for an army. Of course they were best straight out of the oven (I ate two - for dinner) but they weren't too bad the next day (I didn't eat them all! I took them to work. And then I ate them all). I must admit that it didn't taste as banana-y as I had expected, maybe because the chocolate chips were the dominating flavor (nothing wrong with that!), maybe because only two bananas go into these, or maybe because I had used a previously frozen banana... hm, perhaps another experiment is afoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment