November 12, 2010

My first roast chicken


A whole roast chicken seems to be the quintessential feat of a true cook. I've been a bit averse to the idea because I am a bit squeamish when it comes to cooking with meat, especially a whole bird. I remember one Thanksgiving years ago when I said I would make the turkey, but my mom had to actually prepare the turkey itself, like removing the stuff inside, rinsing it off, etc. All I did was stick it in the oven.

I made so many excuses not to make a roast chicken. "I don't have roasting pan," "I don't want to put my hand inside a chicken to remove the gizzards," "No matter how many videos I watch of trussing a chicken, it's still confusing to me."


It really seemed time though, in my culinary journey, that I tackle the whole chicken.

I've been researching methods for a while and went with Marcella Hazan's, which I found by way of the Cheap Healthy Good blog. This method seemed the most straightforward and accessible. Veggies are optional but recommended.

Roasting pan, schmoasting pan. I just used a large oval casserole (from Ikea!) which was perfect. As for trussing, well you can see the results below. I just tied the legs and sort of wrapped some twine around the wings. Oh, and I didn't have to worry about the innards because Fresh Direct sells whole chickens without gizzards. This might be disappointing to some but not for me!


This method starts the chicken breast-side down for half an hour, then breast-side up for half an hour before increasing the heat to finish. I was a bit terrified of under-cooking the chicken so I probably cooked it for much longer than it needed - I left it in for another 45-50 minutes, then another 20 minutes in the oven with the heat turned off (to rest). That's about 2 1/2 hours total preparation time. I'm not a big fan of skin unless it's on fried chicken, so I wasn't too concerned about getting a really crisp skin. In fact, I may considering roasting breast-side down for longer (in which case I may not be able to call this a roast chicken).


Nonetheless, the finished product was delicious and juicy. I think you just can't go wrong with a freshly roasted chicken. The veggies, especially the onion, were incredible. I shredded up the meat for later uses and used the bones to make chicken stock. I'm Eskimo like that - I use every little bit.


Roast Chicken per Marcella Hazan
Cheap Healthy Good

Ingredients
  • 3 to 4 lb whole chicken (mine was 4.3 lbs)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 small lemons

My shorthand instructions
  • Set oven to 350 degrees
  • Rinse chicken, set out to dry. Use paper towels.
  • Salt and pepper inside and out
  • Prick lemons all over, place inside chicken
  • Tie up legs, try to get wings close to bird
  • Place chicken breast-side down in pan, roast for 30 min
  • Turn chicken over, roast for 30 min
  • Increase heat to 400, roast for 20-30 min
  • Let rest before carving (I left it in oven for another 20 min with heat turned off)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've tried this several times and the inside thigh by the bone always comes out rare, breast always a bit dry.

NL

nosebear said...

That's why I left it in until the dark meat was thoroughly cooked. I had a piece of the breast straight out of the oven and thought it was pretty good but maybe my standards are not as high as yours. It did get too dry as it cooled, which is why the rest of it - spoiler alert - went into a soup and a pot pie.

Post a Comment