June 20, 2010

And now, a word from our sponsors*

I'll get back to my "Three meals" series momentarily, but I had to add this ode to my hot water dispenser.


I had resisted it originally when my mom first suggested I get one because I associated hot water dispensers only with my older relatives and, as a larger group, older Asians in general. But, as has happened many, many times, my mom was right: I did want a hot water dispenser. I saw how incredibly useful it could be. Coffee and tea at any hour of the day! Instant noodles! Instant oatmeal! Even for cooking, like when making soup, I could add boiling water, without having to have a kettle of water on the stove, if the soup got too thick.

And I found yet another use: pre-cooking spinach.



I think I've mentioned before how much I loathe "pre-cooking," as in anything that needs to be cooked before making the actual dish. Spinach is one of those. I can't tell you how many recipes I've seen that required cooking spinach in boiling water first, then wringing out the water. I understand why (because spinach releases so much water that if you don't do it first, it will make your final dish a big watery mess--I know this from firsthand experience), but it still made me reluctant to cook with spinach.

Not any more though, because of my beloved hot water dispenser.


I poured hot water from the hot water dispenser over spinach and let it sit briefly before draining and rinsing in cold water. It was the perfect texture for sigmchi namul--still a little crisp but completely wilted.


Mixed with garlic, salt, pepper, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Yum. I know people add soy sauce too but I think the salt and sesame oil provide all the flavor needed.

*Only a sponsor in my dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment