October 9, 2011

Accidentally vegan thumbprint cookies


I do not seek out vegan, or gluten-free, or even vegetarian foods (even though I don't eat beef or pork). And despite the name "vegan thumbprint cookies", these cookies appealed to me because they sounded really yummy and very easy to make.

And they were quite yummy - a lovely nutty, oat-y, soft yet crunchy base, perfectly balanced with the sweet and tart jam.




I've made these twice now, and both times I actually messed up, but regardless, the results were fantastic. I also halved the original recipe. The recipe says to reserve 1/2 cup (in my case, 1/4 cup) of the flour and mix that in only if the dough is very runny. I missed this part and used all of the flour, so my first batch turned out a little dry but not in a noticeable way - I never would have realized it if I hadn't re-read the recipe for my second attempt...


In which I did not have enough oats. The recipe calls for 4 cups of quick-cooking oats. I meant to halve this for 2 cups, but I only had 1-1/2 cup of regular rolled oats. So my second attempt (which is photographed here) turned out a little runny, so I did add the extra flour, but possibly not enough because I thought this batch was a little less stable.


Also, for both batches, I subbed half the flour with whole wheat flour, which just adds to the nuttiness (pun intended!).


The first time, I used blueberry jam and apricot jam, but I liked the apricot much better, so for this batch, I only used apricot. I also made it less of a thumbprint and more of a handprint - I wanted to make the surface area for the jam much larger, so you could get the great nut/oat and jam combination with every bite.

Since I didn't add enough oats, I think this batch spread more, but no matter! I thought they were delicious. Even though they are vegan.

(My version looks nothing like the original recipe's! I am not sure why. Maybe because I used rolled oats instead of quick?)

No comments:

Post a Comment