July 24, 2011

Cilantro coleslaw, two ways


Good grief, it's hot.

I've been eating a lot of this Asian noodle salad lately - it's great for weather like this since it is fairly light and refreshing. I'm one of those people who can eat the same thing over and over again, but after my umpteenth bowl, even I got a little sick of it. Also, I ran out of soba noodles.



Looking for some alternatives, I thought I would try a cilantro coleslaw based on something I saw on Chowhound. The recipe calls for cabbage, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro as the base - I added some bell peppers because I found these adorable mini peppers and just had to use them.


The dressing is red wine vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper, and grapeseed oil.




Yum. The tangy dressing somehow brings out the relative sweetness of the red onion, cabbage and bell peppers. I initially thought the dressing might be overwhelming, but it turned out to be the perfect balance.

Next, I tried a more Asian version. I forgot to take a photo of the dressing, so pretend that it is here. For this version, I replaced the red wine vinegar with rice vinegar, and also added minced garlic and ginger, and a little fish sauce.


The only change I made to the actual salad was to add bean sprouts (because I thought it would make it more Asian-y).


Also yum. Very refreshing. I think it could be a bit more Asian - I might add a touch of sesame oil next time.

Both of these I ate on their own, but I could image they would go nice with some grilled chicken or fish. Perhaps I'll try that some day... when I can bear to turn my stove on again.

No comments:

Post a Comment