February 22, 2011

Wait - these are my favorite pancakes


I have mentioned pancakes before, even claimed that these pancakes made with whipped egg whites would be the only kind I would ever make again.


I take it all back though - these are definitely the only pancakes I will ever make. The key? Buttermilk.


I had heard how great buttermilk pancakes were but had never attempted them until I had a bunch of buttermilk leftover in the fridge after a batch of ranch dressing. Wow - surprisingly airy and fluffy and moist all at the same time.


I use Martha Stewart's recipe which calls for 2 cups of flour and 3 cups of buttermilk. All other pancake recipes generally call for equivalent amounts of flour and milk, so I was a little surprised by the quantity of buttermilk. Also, after using buttermilk for other things, I rarely have 3 cups leftover, so I have been using just 2 1/2 cups of buttermilk. This doesn't seem to be a problem though - the pancakes always turn out fantastic.


I love buttermilk so much that it now has its own section in my Trying to Use Up list - although it's not difficult to find ways to use up buttermilk.

Ingredients (per Martha Stewart)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3 cups buttermilk (I use 2 1/2 cups)
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1/2 teaspoon for griddle (I usually skip adding the extra butter to the batter)
Calorie count: I managed to make 9 pancakes with this particular batch (exactly as Martha said I would!). Without the extra half cup of buttermilk and butter, these pancakes are roughly 177 calories each. I ate two, with syrup. Eek. Pass me my fat pants please.

No comments:

Post a Comment