August 24, 2010

Toaster oven granola


Perusing the interwebs a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon this posting for granola. I've attempted homemade granola before and frankly was not impressed; however, this recipe was very simple, and I had all of the ingredients (mostly) and I thought, what the heck.

But, there was no way I was going to turn on my oven, so I modified the proportions and made it in my toaster oven. Eureka! It's very simple, and easy to personalize according to taste.



I start with one generous tablespoon of brown sugar. I tried two tablespoons and found it a bit too decadent, albeit delicious. Then I add two tablespoons of canola oil. Oil first because...


Then I add two tablespoons honey. If you coat your measuring equipment with oil first, the honey just slides right off - no mess! I learned this from Gourmet. I like to measure out the oil and honey because I really have no eye for proportions.

To this, I also add a splash of vanilla. This is very important. It will make your home smell incredible while baking. These ingredients get all mixed together, then...


I add 1 heaping cup of rolled oats (this measurement depends on how much other stuff I plan to add to the granola - less oats if I add a lot of extras); a tablespoon or so of shredded coconut; dash of cinnamon and salt.


Mix mix mix.


Spread onto my toaster oven tray that has been lined with parchment paper. This is important too. Once I tried to use foil and I didn't realize it would bake the granola much too fast. I burned the entire batch and had to throw it out. Anyways, on parchment, the granola goes into a 325 degree toaster oven for 10 minutes.


Then I take it out, add some raw pepitas, give it a stir, and back in the toaster oven for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, I swoon at the aroma of vanilla in my apartment.


Then I add some crumbled walnuts, another stir, and another 5 minutes in the toaster oven. I add the nuts at the very end because adding them earlier toasts them a little too much, IMHO.


Let cool.


The perfect amount to fit into one of those takeout containers. I haven't tried adding dried fruit or anything, because I like to eat this granola with a banana and either some milk/soy milk or yogurt. Also good with ice cream!

Because of my earlier failed attempts at granola, I really didn't think much of granola in general, but after making homemade for a few weeks now, I am completely enamored - there is something about homemade that makes it extra delicious. When I can turn on my oven again, I will probably have to make a much larger batch, as I am going through this granola like there's no tomorrow.

1 comment:

ck said...

thanks for the granola! it was soooo good.

Post a Comment