June 15, 2009

Bounty from the farmer's market

One of my favorite pastimes is going to the farmer's market, although the crowds can get annoying (especially with the construction going on in Union Square, ugh). For various reasons though, I haven't been able to go for the past couple of weeks and as a result, I've been rather depressed--I had no groceries and no inspiration to cook. This weekend I finally got a chance to go to the farmer's market again. And whoa.


Watercress, burdock root (aka gobo), radishes, cilantro, sugar snap peas, apples, oh my!



Supplemented by my pantry and a trip to Whole Foods, I finally had ideas of what I wanted to make and eat. But first, a quick snack. After trimming the sugar snap peas, I quickly blanched them until bright green then rinsed them in cold water. I like to eat these like they're chips--I love the crunchiness and sweetness. I have to credit my mother for introducing me to these originally a few years ago, albeit via the frozen section of the grocery store. She said they were a good snack, but when I was first offered a taste I was reluctant--then proceeded to eat the whole batch. My mother is always right.

More uses of my farmer's market goodies to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment