May 13, 2009

Rocket pasta


Continuing my transition to summer foods, here's a really simple pasta dish with some arugula I bought at the farmer's market over the weekend. (I love making meals based on my bounty from the farmer's market.) Did you know that arugula is called 'rocket' by the British? I have a couple of cookbooks, which were originally published in England, that have some recipes using rocket. I had no idea what rocket was, I thought it was a type of fish, despite there being no fish in the recipes. They also call eggplant 'aubergine' which is an infinitely prettier name than eggplant. Although I do not advocate for calling it 'aubergine' unless you grew up doing so.


Anyways, above is my version of a mise en place (what's with all these foreign words? I've become one of those annoying pretentious folks that throw foreign words into my daily speech/writing). Cast of characters: mushrooms, garlic, parsley, halved graped tomatoes, and rocket arugula.


I sauteed the mushrooms with garlic (and salt), then just as the pasta finished cooking (I used parpadelle), I added the tomatoes (and salt), arugula and pasta, topping it off with olive oil, parsley and parmigiano.


The tomatoes soften and the arugula wilts with the heat of the pan and the pasta. I love the summery colors and flavors. This dish comes together really quickly (refrigerating washed arugula in a salad spinner helps cut down prep time) which is great a) when I have to work late but still want to cook myself dinner, and b) on warmer nights when I want to keep the stove on for as little as possible. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment